DIY Plumbing: How to get rid of drain flies.
A charming little friend of stagnant, bacteria-rich water is the pesky drain fly. Also known as the moth or sink fly these little buggers can lay up to 200 eggs in their short, three-week life.
Drain flies are not harmful to humans however, they’re an indication that your pipes are not squeaky clean, and let’s face it, they’re just gross.
Here’s how you can get rid of drain flies in your drains:
1. Usually, the drain flies will breed/live in a particular area. Once you know where they are, pour 2 – 3 liters of hot water down the drain.
2. You can use a pipe cleaner or drain snake to clean any organic debris from the drain.
3. You can use the bi-carb and vinegar drain cleaning method. Read about that here..
4. You can use a chemical drain cleaner.
5. You can create a drain fly trap using equal parts sugar, water and, vinegar in a bowl. Add 5 drops of dish soap and leave beside the sink. This will attract and trap the flies.
To prevent drain flies from taking up residence in your drains, try to clean your drains monthly and keep them free from stagnant water. Drain flies like to live in drains with infrequent use. So check your spare bathrooms/any areas that don’t get regular workouts. If you’ve been away from home for some time it’s best to check your drains for drain flies too!
If you’re still experiencing the annoyance of drain flies you may need some expert help. Feel free to call our team today on 0420 102 394 for a free quote. Plus we guarantee to be on-site within the eastern suburbs in 30 minutes.
Speak To One Of Our Friendly Plumbing Experts Today
Proximity Plumbing have been serving Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs for over 10 years. In that time, we have earned a reputation for being honest, reliable and affordable. We pride ourselves on our workmanship, our skills and knowledge, but most of all on how we treat our customers.
If you are looking for an expert plumber to help you solve your plumbing problems, then feel free to reach out for a obligation free quote.